Sunday, May 19, 2013

Gluten Free Cupcakes

This week I made gluten free lemon cupcakes with lemon frosting and vanilla cupcakes with dark chocolate frosting. I also purchased pastry tips at target to make the cupcakes look pretty, from the standpoint of a non- detail oriented person, the tips and pastry bags were easy to use and got me compliments. Let's start with the lemon cupcakes. This box contains only a bag with the cupcake mix.

 
 
Pros: For being a company I had never seen before, the cupcakes were moist and delicious. They had a great lemon taste and were easy to make as full size cupcakes and minis. My co-workers who ate the cupcakes didn't know they were gluten free or dairy free until I said something.
 
Cons: I had trouble figuring out if the cupcakes were done because they did not get brown on the top, but when a toothpick was inserted, it came out clean. I bought canned Betty Crocker lemon frosting and learned my lesson, it tasted very artificial and had to be fixed. I added lemon zest and extract to the canned frosting to make it more edible.
 

 
 
On the other hand, XO Baking Company is a company I have known about for a few years. I have met the owner a few times at events hosted by the Celiac Disease Foundation. This was my first time baking their product myself. The box comes with a bag of cupcake mix and a bag of frosting mix. I chose not to use the frosting mix because I didn't want vanilla frosting, but i kept the instructions and frosting mix for another time.
 
Pros: The cupcakes are so light and fluffy and moist that it is like eating a real cupcake. They rise and cook quickly. The cupcakes aren't too sweet so adding a sweet frosting isn't a problem.
 
Cons: I made these cupcakes as minis and one box of mix made 3 dozen minis and 6 full size cupcakes, that's alot for a box that says it makes 12 full size cipcakes. You need to use a mixer to make these cupcakes. I tried to do it mix it with a fork like I always do, but ended up having to use a mixer to get the lumps out.
 
 
All in all, if it came down to it, I would make both of these products again. I happened to find both of these products at Marshalls, but i know that XO Baking Co. can be found at Whole Foods and Sprouts also.
 
 
Breana


No comments:

Post a Comment