Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My favorite summer recipe: Gazpacho

One of my favorite summer recipes is Gazpacho. This recipe was something I used to make with my Grandma when I was little. As soon as I was old enough to cook by myself, this was the recipe I went looking for in her recipe box.

To make this gorgeous bowl of summer goodness:
4 large ripe tomatoes
1 large cucumber, peeled
1 medium onion
1 green bell pepper
1 cup of tomato juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
tobasco sauce or jalepeno (seeded and deveined to reduce spice level) to taste, optional


The original recipe calls for everything to be chopped fine and made by hand. I prefer to use a food processor or blender. Both work but I tend to get a chunkier result in the food processor. To make it work I cut all the vegetables to a rough chop and combine a little bit of everything in each round of the blender/food processor. This recipe can also be served with a dollop of sour cream and/or chunks of avocado.

FOR BEST RESULT let gazpacho sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours before serving, it only gets better with time.

Whenever I make this recipe, I always double it because if I am taking the time to take out the food processor and cut up all of the vegetables, I make enough to last a few days. Although, with my family this only lasts 2 or 3 days.

Breana

No comments:

Post a Comment